Yeye's Post - Tuesday, April 8

This morning Joshua and I helped Jean make bran muffins; my job was to grate 1.5 cups of carrots and 2 apples.  As I grated the apples he sat on my knee  and took 4 or 5 large bites out of the fruit at opportune moments.  When the muffins were ready we all had some. 

In the living room a bit later we read some books: Arthur Goes to School, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Learn to Count with Noddy, and Curious George Goes to the Hospital.  Joshua was pleased with all 4; he particularly liked to poke his index finger into the holes where the caterpillar had eaten through the pages.  Then Jean got out the flash cards, and Joshua flashed through them.  He identified most of the shapes, but not the -gons.  As for the animals, the jaguar and the zebra he’s got down pat, but the yak is still a mystery to him.

Just before noon I was standing in the breakfast room, about to put on my coat to go for Nicholas, when Joshua came in from the living room and put his arms around my left leg.  As I spoke to Jean I put my hand down on the side of Joshua’s head and stroked his hair, and he walked around me.  But, he stepped first on my left toes, and then on my right toes, and then he wrapped his left arm around my right leg.  A loving little dance; it made me feel very happy!

When I arrived at JCC Nicholas was ready to go.  I initialled Morah Jan’s sheet and Nicholas said good-bye.  Nicholas passed me his snow pants and I picked up his back-pack and we were out the door.  Oh no!, Nicholas now noticed that he was already wearing his snow pants; he had given me Jackson’s pants by mistake!  I said - We’ll have to go around to the front Nicholas - but then a “stranger” 10 feet ahead of us turned and said - I’ll go in and open the door for you!  I thought it a bit odd, but we waited by the back door.  An Asian mother and her little boy (I didn't recognise them)came and joined us, and when another 2 mothers and children came out, the 4 of us went in through the outer doors.  Sure enough, there was the stranger, opening the inner doors for us, and in we all went.

As he walked back to a classroom the stranger said over his shoulder, in a self-satisfied tone - So the next time you can let me in the back door!  Oh no!  About 3 weeks ago, when I was leaving by the back door, a man wanted to come in, and I wouldn’t let him in because I didn’t know him.  It was the same guy, he sure knew me!

Nicholas and I went to Tweedsmuir to collect the coins in the washer and dryer, and Duncan let us in.  Nicholas wanted to open the dryer drawer, so I watched him turn the key, and then Duncan wanted to exchange a $20 bill for coins.  He and Nicholas sat on the stairs, and Nicholas counted out 16 loonies and 16 quarters for him - it took a few minutes, but Nicholas did it unaided.  Then I mentioned the motorcycle Duncan had received in trade for his boat, and Duncan suggested taking Nicholas’s picture astride the cycle.  We went out and did just that.  Then we drove to a gas station and put some gas in the car, and then we drove home.  Nicholas asked about the windshield wipers, which were shuddering across the windshield, so we talked about “vibration”, what it is and what are some examples of it.

At home, Nicholas had some pasta and hot-dog sausage, and then I read Curious George goes to the Hospital to him.  He really likes Curious George.  After that Jean played Gobble with him (he won every time!), while I went upstairs to write this day’s diary.

Almost forgot!  About 10 days ago Jean gave Nicholas a sheet of beige construction paper and some scissors, and he folded it in 4, and cut some pieces out.  Unfolded, it looked good, so Jean mounted it on a sheet of black construction paper and put it into a picture frame.  A few days ago she hung in on the wall in the breakfast room; she figured Nicholas would spot it on his next visit - today.  Sure enough, he saw it as soon as he walked through the door; he was pleased that Nana had framed and hung up his artwork!

(Now 7 p.m.)  After Joshua got up, Jean was making scones.  She let him try using the egg beater, and then she poured out her mixture and put some soap and water in the bowl.  He had struggled with the egg mixture, but he got the hang of it with the beater and the soapy water; he had such a good time with it that he didn’t want to stop.  Both Jean and I stood and watched, and then I grabbed the camera and took a photo.  Nicholas had been watching Bob the Builder for a half hour, but he’d come up and he wanted a go with the egg beater too.  Joshua and I adjourned to the play room and shut the door, and changed his diaper.  By the time we came out Cameron had arrived, and it was time to tell him about our day and get the boys dressed to go home.  Today’s muffins were good, but the scones were excellent (like your sons!).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Baby

Final Countdown - 7 days till due date

21 Weeks!