Nicholas Has Arrived - Birth Story

It's been an amazing two-week journey with the arrival of Nicholas on Dec. 5th. Every time I go to update the blog, I am called to a feeding that can sometimes last hours. Nicholas is finally in his bassinet now, giving me a few moments to give an update.

First off, I'll start with the birth story!

Our little Nicholas finally arrived on Saturday, Dec. 5th at 11:56 am. He was supposed to be induced on Dec. 6, which also happens to be Saint Nicholas Day, but we were able to avoid the inducement as he decided to bravely enter the world early Sat. morning.

I had a hunch that he was going to come on Sat. as I had some physical signs on Friday, including the loss of my mucous plug. Cam and I enjoyed our last night out by dining at New Mee Fung where I slurped back a mango shake with tapioca balls and devoured my wrap dish. We rented a comedy for the evening - Run Fatboy Run (very funny) and then proceeded to go to bed. Before I went to bed, I called the hospital to inquire what a leakage of amniotic fluid would feel like as I felt a slow leak throughout the day. The nurse assured me that it wasn't one, and I went to bed.

1:45 am: I felt a small gush as I slept and within minutes, started to feel some minor contractions. After the second one, I went to wake Cam up. His response: "It's so early in the morning!"

2:00-3:00 am: We begin to time the contractions and they're 5 min. to 8 min. apart. The pain is minor, but I still needed some relief so I pushed my back against the wall to provide some relief.

3:15 am:  We decided that it was time to head to the hospital. We pack up all our bags and call Susan (my doula) on the way to the hospital. By now, I am uttering some profanities because of the pain and the contractions are now 3 min. apart.

3:30 am: We arrive at the hospital and the doors are locked! This intensified my labor pains. We quickly find the emergency entrance and Cam walks me to the birthing unit. The pain is so great now that I have to keep my eyes closed during each one. They show us to a room and the nurse assesses my dilation - 2 cm. and completely effaced. The nurse then leaves us and says that she'll return in 20 minutes, which seems like a lifetime when the pain is so great.

4:30 am: The nurse comes back and by then, I had thrown up because of the labor pains. The contractions are getting more and more intense. Cam and the nurse setup the jacuzzi and I hop in - the jets are too forceful so we turn them down. All I can do is keep my eyes closed and moan through each contraction. They are now 2 min. apart. Susan shortly arrives and the relief she provides is amazing - she used the shower head to run the hot water on my lower back. She also talks me through each contraction and her soothing voice is exactly what I needed. Cam continues to stroke my forehead.

The laboring in the tub continues and I experience the most painful contractions while I'm in the tub - the baby is turning around inside, causing excruciating pain. I finally reach a point where I ask to be reassessed - the nurse tells me that I'm finally 6 cm.

5:30 am: I ask immediately for the epidural. I've had enough and sense that I'm dilated enough to seek relief. The anesthesiologist arrives promptly and does his job - I don't feel a thing. Maybe the slightest pinch, but within half an hour, I was in Disneyland. I begin to feel ecstatic and I can finally talk and feel normal again.

6:00-11:30 am: I continue to labor with a full dose of the epidural. I called my mom, Cam's parents, and friends. I am completely relaxed and watching my contractions on a print out as they happen.  There is absolutely no pain experienced at this point and it feels wonderful. Cam is also relieved that he doesn't have to watch me through the pain any more.

As 11:20 approaches, I'm told that my cervix has dilated to 10 cm. The nurses wheel in some spotlights, and a portable baby bed with heat lamps. I'm told that the room will be crowded very soon. It feels like a movie set. I begin to practice some pushes, even though I don't feel any pressure in my lower body yet. Some people begin to feel pressure, which gives them the urge to push. As I practice my pushes, I pretend that I'm doing the biggest bowel movement of my life. The nurse encourages me to push the big bowel out. It doesn't feel too intense a workout. By this time, I am excited to get the show on.

Dr. Gofton arrives around 11:40 and walks me through some of the pushing. She's quite business like and helps to turn the baby around. Nicholas is smart and turns himself around - thank heavens, otherwise, I would have been laboring for a bit longer. I announce that I'm going to have the baby by 12 noon. Everyone laughs at me and scoffs that it would no be likely. Well, let's see about that.

After a few rounds of pushing, Dr. Gofton announces that she's going to have to use the vacume. Susan reassures me that this is ok, and Dr. Gofton proceeds to take the vacume out. It looks like a plunger, except it's green. I prepare to push again and with the third push, I feel some relief and out comes Nicholas - he takes a deep breath and lets out a big cry.  He's healthy and it placed onto my chest. Cam has the most beautiful look on his face - a combination of complete happiness and amazement. Cam cuts the umbilical cord and Nicholas continues to let out a few more cries.

Nicholas scored 9 out of 10 on the apgar test and is extremely healthy. His head is definitely cone shaped, but that disappears after a few days. After he's all cleaned up, we try to the breast crawl and slowly, Nicholas makes his way up to his food source. What a smart baby!

The birth was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. It was painful but exhilarating at the same time. It's now two weeks later and Nicholas has been a fantastic baby - his cries are mostly for food and he is not particularly fussy. We are anxious to see him develop and change, but at the same time want to watch him grow slowly so that we can enjoy every moment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Baby

Final Countdown - 7 days till due date

21 Weeks!