Discovering New Talents

In my new job as a mother, I am discovering new talents that I never knew I had and reviving old ones. The feeding demands have increased over the past two weeks - Nicholas demands milk that takes anywhere from 20 min. to 5 hour marathon sessions. The long sessions aren't daily, but they do take place every few days. Those are the toughest as all I do is sit on the couch and feed straight through.

This is where my new talents come in. Since I'm sitting so much and can't move my arms, I've had to learn how to pick things up with my toes. It really is a challenge to do that. I feel like I'm armless and all I can do is stare at the object I want and concentrate on picking it up with either both my feet or toes from one foot.

Since sitting down for hours on end is not appealing, I've also discovered some new squat exercises to do with Nicholas - I know it's dangerous to do them while he's breastfeeding in case he decides to tug hard, but I have managed to hold him close enough that he won't be able to tug off. Since he's almost 10 pounds, it's as though I'm doing squats with the same amount of weight.

Eating with one hand is also a new skill that I'm slowly mastering. I've always admired my friends who had to do this, and now that I'm a mom, appreciate this new found talent as it's not easy. You have to be able to scoop the food quickly into your mouth without dripping it on your baby's head. The hot foods are most difficult because you have to bring your head forward enough to eat over a bowl so that you don't burn your baby's head.

My last talent is typing with one finger. I can sometimes get him comfortable feeding enough to have him on my lap and lean over to feed while I am on my computer. It's not ideal, but it does work.

Those are my latest talents to report. I'm sure I'll develop new ones as time passes by. For now, I'm trying to figure out if there's a hands free way to breastfeed that will allow me to walk around freely. So far, I haven't found anything, but hoping to figure that out this week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Baby

Final Countdown - 7 days till due date

21 Weeks!